Forskolin, also commonly known as Indian Cloeus or False Boldo, is a natural supplement extracted from the roots of a plant called Coleus Forskohlii. This plant is found on the mountains of Nepal, India, Thailand and Sri Lanka. It was discovered in the year 1974, and since then a lot of studies have been conducted on its many health benefits.
Forskolin has a whole lot of effects on our body. It works on the enzymatic level of the body and increases the level of cAMP (or cyclic AMP) in the body. The cAMP in turn affects the release of other enzymes in the body, and this leads to different effects.
Common Benefits on Health on Using Forskolin
Forskolin is believed to have many health benefits. It has been used in different parts of the world for many years due to its medicinal properties. Some of the well-known benefits are:
- Forskolin has shown very good results as a weight loss supplement. Many studies have been conducted on groups of obese patients, and it has been proved that by using forskolin they not only substantially reduced body fat, but also increased lean body and bone mass.
- Besides being a fat breaker, it also improves digestion and absorption of nutrients by the body.
- It lowers the cholesterol level and improves the immune system.
- Forskolin has proved to be very effective in protection against glaucoma. When used in eye drops, it reduces the intraocular pressure that is greatly responsible for glaucoma.
- Some studies on animals have shown that applying forskolin on skin can induce tanning, even without exposure to ultra violet rays. This is because of its effect on the skin pigmentation. If the same holds true when used on humans, it can be of great benefit.
- Studies are also been conducted on the effects of forskolin on asthma patients. It has been observed that asthma patients who use forskolin capsule have significantly less asthma attacks.
- In addition to the above, forskolin can also be used in the treatment of other health conditions like allergies, high BP, to improve heart health and for cancer prevention.
A natural extract of forskolin from the whole root of the plant is a small amount. The pure root extract of one plant might not be enough to produce the effects. For desired effects take a dose of 50mg forskolin extract, 2-3 times a day.
Side Effects of Using Forskolin
Although studies are still being carried out, but abnormal use of forskolin can lead to some side effects. Forskolin can cause headache and lead to unusual drop in blood pressure or hypotension. It is better that people who are already using a BP medicine or blood thinners should avoid using forskolin. If you are suffering from stomach ulcers, avoid forskolin as it increases the stomach acids which can aggravate the ulcers. For safety reasons, pregnant and lactating mothers should not use forskolin.
If you are planning on using forskolin as a weight loss supplement, seek your doctor’s advice. Although it has shown significant drop in weight and belly fat but it always better to get a physician’s advice before starting on any supplement.